Eastham, in southeastern Massachusetts, was settled by the Pilgrims in 1644, incorporated as "Nausett" in 1646, and was ultimately named Eastham in 1651. It is a town of 4980 year-round residents (1995), with a population swelling to over 20,000 during the summer months.
With its beautiful bayside and ocean beaches, miles of bicycle and walking trails, a historic schoolhouse, and the Cape's oldest wind-driven windmill, Eastham is the ideal place for the fishermen, beach-goers, birders, photographers, bicyclists, and vacationers.
Located within the boundaries of the Cape Cod National Seashore, the Penniman House in the Fort Hill area of Eastham points to the fortunes made by the Cape's whaling captains. Out in front of the house are the jawbones of a whale marking the entrance to the property, and telling of the former occupant's occupation. The Penniman House is open weekends during the spring and fall and six days a week from June through Labor Day.
Resting upon the Town green in Eastham is the oldest and most widely known of all the Cape Cod windmills. The Eastham grist mill began life in Plymouth back in the 1680s, which means that the corn it ground most likely found its way to the mouths of the sons and daughters of Pilgrims.